Friends of Five Rivers is a non-for-profit group providing support to Five Rivers Environmental Education Center in Delmar, NY. Friends was incorporated as Five Rivers Limited in 1972 when the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) established Five Rivers Environmental Education Center at the former Delmar Experimental Game Farm. The Center and property are owned and operated by the NYSDEC. In partnership, the two organizations work together to provide visitors with an educational experience.
The mission of Friends of Five Rivers is to support environmental education at the Five Rivers Environmental Education Center, as well as to enhance the experience of visitors to Five Rivers and to promote the interests of the Center. From the friendly greeter at the desk, to the instructor for a the Guided School program, to the nature intern scouring the ponds for the invasive water chestnuts – they’re all part of Friends of Five Rivers. Friends members provides volunteers and funds to support and enhance Five Rivers’ programs.
Friends provides unique and creative environmental education activities year-round for adults and families, including:
- Funding and instructing the Guided School Program (GSP) for over 4,500 students and their teachers/chaperones each year.
- Providing environmental education programming during all seasons for families and their young children.
- Collaborating with the Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy to obtain land to protect wildlife habitat.Staffing and administering the greeter program at
the Visitor Center.
- Organizing events and activities such as the annual Fall Festival, the popular birdseed sale, art programs, educational speakers, and more
- Granting the Wendy Suozzo Memorial Award, a scholarship for high school seniors in the area.
With the support of Friends members, our partnership with the Department of Environmental Conservation, and our volunteer instructors and greeters, we are able to provide our visitors with an unmatched environmental education experience.
To find out more how you can make a contribution to Friends of Five Rivers, or become a member, click below.